Friday, November 9, 2018

Week 12 Story: I'm Bad at Titles

Author's Note: This week's story is based on an encounter in the Fairie Queen section. Britomart, the protagonist, is a girl who disguises herself as a knight to go find a man she saw in a magic mirror and fell in love with. In this particular encounter, she comes upon a man being beat up by 6 knights for not wanting to renounce his love for his wife and pledge loyalty to their mistress. Britomart fights off all six of them with her enchanted spear. I decided to do a modern rewrite about a punk rock chick fighting off a bunch of bullies.

The last bell rang, signalling the end of the day. Students rushed into the hallway, eager to get home for the weekend. Brittany slowly sauntered out of her Calculus class. There was no need to rush. The student parking lot was dangerous enough without being exposed on the back of a motorcycle. She popped her headphones in and began blasting the latest Fall Out Boy album. If she was lucky, she could talk her dad into buying her a ticket, not that she had anyone to go with. The hallways quickly emptied and Brittany began making her way out of the building. As she passed the doors to the gym locker rooms, she heard some yelling over the screaming music in her ears. She removed one headphone to see what all the commotion was.

The noise had been coming from the guys' locker room. The vile, homophobic slurs were vaguely distinguishable over the sound of flesh being struck. Ronny, the only openly gay kid in the school, was getting beat up again. Knowing the gym teacher either didn't know, or didn't care. Britt pushed her way into the room. The six jocks stopped dead when the realized there was a girl there with them. Ronny was curled into a protective ball on the floor, bleeding lightly from his lip.

"Come on Ronny," Britt called, "let's get you home." The poor kid slowly stood up, shaking.

"Wow, you need a chick to come save you, Ronald?" one of the bullies said, shoving Ronny as he walked past, "be sure to thank her properly when she takes you home. Maybe getting some real action will straighten you out!" The jocks all chuckled, but Brittany was furious. She wasn't happy about the poor kid getting beat up on a daily basis, but they weren't exactly friends, but the oversized meat heads had just gotten her directly involved.

"How about I decide who I want to screw, thanks," she said.

"Wow. Rejected. Is that why you're gay? because none of the girls wanted you?" The big oaf gave Ronald another little shove, and Brittany started swinging.  It took all of about 60 seconds for the whole group  to be laid out on the floor of the locker room, clutching various body parts and moaning. Her years of Jiu-Jitsu and self-defense classes were quite useful every once in a while. She quickly ushered the poor kid out of the locker room.

"Wow, that was... thanks," Ronald said in awe.

"Yeah, don't mention it. Maybe try to not to get yourself cornered again, okay kid?"

Source: Pixabay

Bibliography:

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica!

    First of all, your title is hilarious. I am also bad at naming my stories and I usually just stick to the original names of the story that I am writing over! Your story is quite excellent and topical. I love how you took an ancient story and extracted its values to make it more relevant and topical to society today. I do believe standing up for anyone, especially someone marginalized is the right thing to do and that any hero of any time would agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica!

    I relate so hard to this title. I am always so bad at titles because I never know what to name my story... It seems like too difficult of a job! I totally understand. This story made me a little sad but I liked how you did it. It was an old story but you really made it your own! I think that is really cool and inspiring of you to be able to write so well but not lose touch of the original. Standing up for people especially this day in a age is so important so I am glad it is something you included!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica. I like how you put the author's note first. I have never seen a story like that and I think it really helped to see the similarities while reading the story. I like how she came to help the boy getting beat up. It adds a lesson to the story about helping others out. I think you did a great job of making the story easy to read and relatable. Good job!

    ReplyDelete