Friday, November 2, 2018

Week 11 Story: The Great Game

Author's Note: This story is (very loosely) based on a cherokee myth were the mammals challenge the birds to a sports game of some sort. While the original tale focuses on the creation of the bat and flying squirrel, this retelling will be about what actually happened during the game in a sports commentator-like fashion. I decided to make the challenge a soccer game, since that's the sport I know the best. Sorry for making it so short. I had to take a friend to the hospital last night, so my time to work on this got cut down significantly (she's doing okay now though). This one may end up on my portfolio, where I'll be sure to edit in more commentary about the actual game play.

Source: Max Pixel

(Scott Serpent) Welcome back to the Mythology Sports Center! I'm your host, Scott Serpent. Today's game is a showdown between the high-flying Birds and the four-legged Mammals! The Mammals are the first to enter the pitch and would you look at that warm up lap?
Bear, the team captain, is showing off some of that impressive strength he's known for. If the other team was out here already he would be getting a caution for sure. What do you think Fred?

(Fred Fish) Oh for sure, Scott. That's an intimidation tactic if I've ever seen one. Just look at how the referee is watching them. This is sure to be an intense match. Here comes the Birds now! Bear is showing off for sure, but Eagle, the Bird's captain, isn't one to be underestimated. Let's go down to Sally Spider on the pitch to chat with the apparent underdogs for this match. sally, how are things looking down there?

(Sally Spider) Hi Fred, the Birds have just emerged from their locker room and it seems like we may be seeing two new players on the field this game. I'm here with Barry Bat and Sammy Squirrel, two rejects from the Mammals tryouts who, due to some unfortunate injuries in last week's contest, will be part of today's starting lineup. How are you two feeling about today's match?

(Barry Bat) You know Sally, Sam and I are just super excited to be here and to have this opportunity. The Birds took a chance on us and invested so many resources into our equipment and training and we just want to get out there and leave everything we've got on the field. We're looking forward to a great game!

(Sally Spider) Well good luck today guys! The referee has just blown his whistle for the five minute warning, so let's send this back up to you guys in the box to watch this exciting match unfold. Fred. Scott.

(Scott Serpent) Thanks for that, Sally. We're gonna take a short break here folks, and we'll be back with more live action coverage after a few words from today's sponsors...

Bibliography:
The Ball Game of the Birds and the Animals

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    People in this class surprise me every week with their creativity. I usually just stick to a normal narrative story retelling but your adaptation through sports announcing is so cool. It was such a different but interesting way to tell the story and you did a great job! I definitely think you should add more and put it in your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica! I loved your take on this story. The perspective of a commentator during a sports match was just so fun. I was curious if you'll continue the story next week? I loved the introduction but was a bit confused as to why the bats and flying squirrels weren't allowed to play.

    I just re-read your author's note and realize you addressed the shortness. I'm glad to hear your friend is doing ok. I love your introduction to this story and am excited to continue reading it, as you've set it up for a really interesting re-telling. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica! I really like your version of the story and that you told it like a sporting event. What a great idea! We watch a lot of sports in this house so I totally read it in my head like I was watching a sporting event. Haha Great job! Glad to hear that your friend is okay and things definitely come up like that in life. I would definitely expand this story a bit and add it to my portfolio if I were you--it's an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica, I really enjoyed reading your story! I love the sports commentator perspective you took. This creates a really cool, relatable dynamic in the story! I like how realistic this whole story is. I did notice a few grammatical/spelling errors, nothing major. I think this would be a great story to add to your portfolio. I look forward to reading the updated version!

    ReplyDelete